Thursday, August 6, 2015

introduction

Courtesy of the Art of Manliness website

Here's something a guy said, "Language is the most salient model of Heraclitean flux. It alters at every moment in perceived time. The sum of linguistic events is not only increased but qualified by each new event. If they occur in temporal sequence, no two statements are perfectly identical. When we think about language, the object of our reflection alters in the process. In short: so far as we experience and 'realize' them in linear progression, time and language are intimately related: they move and the arrow is never in the same place." (George Steiner, After Babel)

Language is a transient kind of creature. Her words, despite all they say, don't really 'get a say' in how they are used. They can be misused over long periods of time and their definition is altered. They can be used too narrowly or too generally and create ambiguity. In some cases, words have even been inverted to the exact opposite of the original meaning. It is literally a pain in the butt (wink).

And so it is my intent to help redeem a few words. Associated with religion, Christianity in particular, are a host of words that range from being slightly offset to completely displaced in our modern usage. So the words I will address in this blog are those found in the religious records subscribed to by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. These scriptures include: The Holy Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price.

Some words will make for better candidates than other words for this blog. I have a growing list of words that seem to speak to me. They usually carry with them a lot of doctrinal weight. I probably won't be addressing any words merely to satisfy curiosity. If it seems like it would further my understanding of the Lord's will for his children, then it makes a good candidate. I welcome suggestions for future posts. If I don't like your suggestion, I'll politely tell you it's a dumb suggestion. And then you can call me dumb. It'll be fun.

I don't think I'll be able to give an exhaustive account of each word I choose. At best it will be a superficial study of it's origin, context, and implications. I'm not an accomplished scriptorian.  I'm not a scholar by any means. I'm actually pretty stupid. Once, a Brazilian man told me that I didn't look very intelligent. But he followed it up by saying that I looked useful! I studied Linguistics in college and dabbled in Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and Arabic.  I only confess this to illustrate my love for language and its history. I don't speak or write these languages with any worthy amount of competency. 

To conclude this introduction, I feel that the world we live in is in disarray and backwardness. Many recent events are causing me to consider that this planet is about to experience some devastating changes. I don't know if any kind of material preparation is going to matter much when it all goes down. I am, however, convinced that the scriptures and prophets have warned us to prepare spiritually. I don't want to be caught with my loins down when things start to happen. It's time to gird 'em up!

No comments:

Post a Comment